Saint John Vianney – South St. Paul
Saint John Vianney parish was founded in 1946. Mass was first said in the new parish in the lodge building at nearby Kaposia Park. The first church, constructed of material from two Army barracks, was completed in April of 1947. In 1950, a basement roller rink was built near the frame church and used for several years to raise money for the construction of a combined church and school. The combined facility was completed in 1955. In 1960 the final phase of the original parish building plan was completed with the construction of a new rectory and administrative office building. The old church remained in existence for many years as a convent for the Sisters of St. Casimir, who originally ran the school.
Today, Saint John Vianney is a growing and active parish. Its religious education program for grades K-8 is a very active component of the faith community. The Saint John Vianney community is widely known for its pastoral outreach to the community. Most recently a new marble altar has been installed and consecrated by Bishop Andrew Cozzens.
We envision Saint John Vianney to be a dynamic and growing parish through our: expressions of faith and worship, service to one another and the broader community, welcoming new members, compassion and ministry in pastoral care, and stewardship of God’s gifts and blessings.
The Saint John Vianney Catholic Church welcomes all to celebrate and live as the Body of Christ. We embrace our commitment to continue this founding legacy, care for future generations, and advance the Kingdom of God.